Successful Case Results and Settlements
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Represented large Chicago commuter rail agency in a multiple parcel exchange with a national mining company for expansion of rail services and a new train station in Illinois. As part of this transaction, I negotiated and prepared multiple subterranean easement agreements, development agreements, licenses, exchange agreement and easements and assisted with zoning entitlements. Also, I worked closely with geotechnical experts in determining vibration issues and standards for the mining operator’s operations near the tracks and train facility for inclusion in the exchange agreement.
- Represented developer with sale of a large tract of land to Lowes, including the negotiation and preparation of a complicated sale and purchase agreement, site development agreements and shopping center easements, conditions, covenants and restrictions.
- Represented wealthy land owner in the sale of a $30,000,000 resort property and golf course in the Bahamas, which included the negotiation and preparation of a complicated sales agreement and development agreement.
- Represented large developer in sale of $35,000,000 property to the VA for the development of a new VA Hospital and medical clinics.
- Assisted with the purchase of a $31,000,000 office building in Naperville, Illinois.
- Represented large developers in many sophisticated multi-million dollar sales and acquisitions of large tracts of real estate for residential, commercial and industrial development, which included preparation of complex purchase and sale agreements, closing documents, annexation agreements, easements, development agreements and development covenants, conditions and restrictions.
- Represented clients in the acquisition of multiple apartment projects, including a $20 million bulk purchase of 16 apartment projects.
- Represented wealthy family limited partnerships in over 50 purchase and sale closings through the use of 1031 forward and reverse exchanges.
- Represented clients in the sale of commercial, office and industrial buildings and real estate.
- Handled complicated title, survey and due diligence review for multiple complex commercial real estate transactions, including, but not limited to, shopping center developments, pipeline projects, apartment buildings, affordable housing transactions, industrial and business parks and large planned unit developments.
- Prepared title commitments, policies and title documents as title agent for Broad and Cassel for various affordable housing transactions.
- Prepared operating agreements for formation of limited liability companies for development entities.
- Handled all survey, title and due diligence for various affordable housing clients in connection with loan, tax credit and bond closings, including an $80 million dollar bond financing and loan transaction in connection with a four (4) phase apartment project.
Real Estate Development, Construction & Zoning
- Represented large developer with obtaining zoning entitlements and development approvals for the development of an upscale highly controversial mixed-use project in Hinsdale, Illinois consisting of a high rise hotel; banquet facility; live-work residential-office condominiums; and a variety of commercial and retail units.
- Represented national wine company in a joint venture warehouse and distribution center development in Cicero, Illinois.
- Represented large developer in the development of a four star hotel and mixed-use development on Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented shopping center owner in obtaining a special use approval for a highly controversial auto parts store in Woodridge, Illinois.
- Represented movie theatre client in obtaining an amendment to a planned unit development for the expansion of a movie theatre for additional theatre space, restaurant, signage and bar.
- Represented developer in successfully obtaining zoning entitlements and development approvals for large a mixed-use townhome and commercial project in northwest Indiana.
- Represented developer with zoning entitlements for controversial downtown Naperville riverfront property in connection with a mixed-use office, restaurant and retail development project.
- Represented clients in obtaining zoning and development approvals for various residential, commercial, office and industrial projects in Plainfield, Naperville, Woodridge, Joliet, Channahon, Aurora, Wheeling, DuPage County, Will County, Manhattan and other communities. Handled zoning hearings; prepared zoning petitions, zoning text amendments, variances and special use applications, planned unit development ordinances and plan descriptions setting forth the development restrictions and bulk standards for the developments, annexation agreements, development agreements, TIF redevelopment agreements, economic incentive agreements, school capacity and utility agreements, easements, road agreements, licenses and development covenants, conditions and restrictions.
- Represented large residential developer in preparing special service area agreements and documents for the financing of subdivision public improvements, including handling all public hearings before the Plan Commissions and City Councils.
- Drafted condominium declarations, form condominium purchase contracts for condominium projects, bylaws and other condominium sales and disclosure agreements.
- Assisted with drafting of condominium declaration for large Bahamian condominium resort.
- Drafted and negotiated construction, architectural and engineering agreements.
- Drafted assisted living facility lease and related documents for developments in Lake Zurich and Fox Lake, Illinois.
- Represented large mining company in analyzing complicated off-site stormwater, well depletion and ground water issues relating to one of its large mining facilities in Kendall County.
- Assisted litigation counsel with research and preparation of complaints in connection with various real estate related litigation matters, including obtaining specific performance for the conveyance of land for the development of an assisted living facility.
- Represented contractors, subcontractors and owners in various mechanics lien matters.
- Represented large developer client with development and master agreements for telecommunication tower developments
Real Estate Leasing
- Represented high profile architectural firm in preparing and negotiating a long term build-to-suit 100,000 square foot office lease in Oakbrook, Illinois in Class A Office Building.
- Represented physician group in negotiating and preparing lease for a medical clinic.
- Represented large manufacturer client in negotiation and preparation of a sublease of over 100,000 square foot of warehouse space in Los Angeles, California which contained many complex environmental issues and leasing contingencies.
- Represented large manufacturer client with negotiation and preparation of warehouse leases for light industrial uses.
- Represented clients as both landlords and tenants in lease preparation and negotiations for office, retail and industrial space.
- Represented large apparel company in large retail lease in the Hamptons in New York.
- Represented large affordable housing clients with negotiation and preparation of ground leases.
- Drafted and negotiated subordination, non-disturbance and attornment agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated tenant work letters and build-out agreements.
- Drafted and negotiated multiple telecommunication leases on behalf of wireless carriers.